Sunday 18 November 2012

Sound and Image project, Doppleganger.

Ok so to contrast the social situations that our doppleganger is going to encounter, we needed some ideas for shots that showed the isolation he surrounds himself with when he is alone...

The first work that reminded me of what we wanted to achieve was Alexy Titarenko. 

Titarenko was inspired to use such long exposures to give this effect to show the vast amount of people in the environment, as well as to show the insignificant and solitude sense of each person. He juxtaposes some people with the other blurs to create a sense of solitude and isolation to them. 

“""These people were like shadows, one would meet in the Underworld. I decided to express that feeling in my work, to convey my personal expressions. I had to find a visual metaphor that would enable the viewer to share my feelings as acutely as possible. That is what prompted me to try a long exposure process.”






We agreed we liked the effect this gave, so I experimented with different exposures, see what shutter speed gave the best effect etc..

With this idea in mind, We needed locations and storyboards. I visited potential locations that could isolation our guy, spaces that he could think and realise what he's doing in a way. Also a viewer needs to see the contrast in his life to fully understand the story. So heres a few shots from different locations...


 
Firstly went to a maaaaasive reservoir, had a lot of eeriness about it and a lot of 'thinking space' as they say. Would want to revisit again to shoot with a wide angle lense to show the space, as well as catching the sunset for the aesthetic side of things.  
Played around with the idea of his 'hidden identity', who's the real him..
Tried shots from  the back, gives leeway for the narration to take over. Again also tried the long exposure effect which worked okay, definitely in need of a tripod though!











After I visited Beacon Hill, highest point in Leicestershire  definitely felt the effect. freezing. Would have preferred to have got their earlier to have got a bit more light, but the silhouettes kinda worked.
Quite like the further away shot's to capture the whole scenery. Feel its a bit cheesy at the minute but could work?


 Took a few looking over the city, quite liked the contrast of a lonely man looking over the 'hustle and bustle' of a city. Again, need a tripod!!!!















I must be having some sort of breakdown as I usually hate this man, but Gregory Crewdson's work actually inspired me. about time. The whole idea of creating an isolated scene, the lighting mainly, just the whole feel of his images I thought would be good to take some aspects from. Need to stop, questioning my sanity. 




Now obviously are images would have a more natural sense to them, but I took the idea of isolating with light and experimented with it...


 Did a quick little shot with some car headlights, worked surprisingly well and gave the effect I wanted. Just trying to give a sense of loneliness to the images..

 I now have a new pet hate, British lamp-posts  Not giving the right light I want, I hate modernism. Anyway, experimented with lights, silhouettes etc.
Not entirely sure why they're so red but that's the beauty of black and white monochrome. 



So there's a few more test shots done, want to do some more in the city centre as it would create 
that contrast between isolation and being 
surrounded a lot more...



1 comment:

  1. Hi. I'd like to use two of your British lamplight photos as illustration in this story I posted to my blog:

    http://ethanyarbroughwrites.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/bodies-in-motion-the-final-chapter/

    Your photos set the perfect mood. I've added them so you can see how I intend to use them. But I will remove them if you disapprove. I'll gladly credit you by name, as well. Currently I've just listed you as msheridan6. Please let me know at RE_Yarbrough@hotmail.com if you approve my use of your photos.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete